The Abingdon Ruritan Club’s scholarships for 2023 – 2024 will be awarded to a student who plans to attend a four-year College/University and the other to a student who plans to attend a Community College/Trade/Vocational School.
Gloucester High School students and Gloucester County home-schooled students who are seniors are encouraged to apply for one of the Abingdon Ruritan Club’s two scholarships. One scholarship will be awarded to a student who plans to attend a four-year college or university ($4,000) and the other to a student who plans to attend a Community College, vocational, or trade school ($2000). Community College students enrolled in a Career Studies Certificate program will be given preference over Community College students not enrolled in a Career Studies Certificate program.
You can use the link below to get for the application form. Students can view/download the application through their Gloucester High School Naviance account or stop by the Counseling Office for a paper copy.
To be considered for these scholarships, completed applications must be submitted to the school’s Counseling Office no later than 3 p.m. on Friday, April 21, 2023. Applications from home-schooled students must be mailed to Abingdon Ruritan Club, P.O. Box 22, Bena, VA. 23018 and must be postmarked no later than April 21, 2023. For more information, please call 804-642-5212 or 804-642-5869
▪ Must be a 2023 graduating senior of Gloucester High School or Home School Program in Gloucester County.
▪ Grade point Average requirement:
• 3.0 GPA for College/University applicants
• 2.2 GPA for Community College/Vocational/Trade School applicants
• Must have demonstrated community service by participating in extracurricular activities:
* In school
* In the community
▪ Must exhibit good citizenship.
▪ Essay must address community service, fellowship, goodwill and good citizenship. It should demonstrate good sentence structure
with correct grammar and spelling. It must be at least 250 words, typewritten, double-spaced on plain white paper.
▪ Application – Use fillable version if possible. If using a copy of form, print clearly and legibly.
▪ Include an official copy of your high school transcript or home school record.
▪ Include three letters of recommendation. Please….no form letters! Typewritten preferred.
• A recommendation may be obtained from:
* School official: counselor, principal, teacher, coach. (only one)
* Community leader
* Present or former employer.
• Each person providing a recommendation MUST state their name and relationship to the applicant.
FILING DEADLINE: Completed applications must be returned to the School Counseling Office no later than 3 pm, Friday April 21, 2023. Applications from home-schooled students must be mailed to Abingdon Ruritan Club, P.O. Box 22, Bena, VA 23018 and must be postmarked no later than April 21, 2023.
Abingdon Ruritan Scholarship-Application Form-for-2023-24
2022- 2023 Recipients
College/University: Maximum award is four thousand dollars ($4,000). One thousand will be paid directly to the school for each year the student is enrolled full-time and in good standing. This is for seniors who will attend a College/University.
Andrew Teagle received ARC’s 4 year, $4000 Scholarship
Liam Wamsley received ARC’s 2-year, $2,000