The April 22nd application deadline for the Abingdon Ruritan Scholarships is fast approaching. Gloucester High School students and Gloucester County home-schooled students who are seniors are encouraged to apply for one of the Abingdon Ruritan Club’s two scholarships.
One scholarship will be awarded to a student who plans to attend a four-year College/University and the other to a student who plans to attend a Community College/Trade/Vocational School.
College/University: Maximum award is four thousand dollars ($4,000). One thousand will be paid directly to the school for each year the student is enrolled full-time and in good standing. This is for seniors who will attend a College/University.
Community College/Trade/Vocational School: The maximum award is two thousand dollars ($2,000). One thousand dollars will be paid directly to the school for each year the student is enrolled full-time and in good standing. This is for seniors who will attend a Community College, vocational, or trade school. Community College students enrolled in a Career Studies Certificate program will be given preference over Community College students not enrolled in a Career Studies Certificate program.
▪ Must be a 2022 graduating senior of Gloucester High School or Home School Program in Gloucester County.
▪ Grade point Average requirement:
• 3.0 GPA for College/University applicants
• 2.2 GPA for Community College/Vocational/Trade School applicants
• Must have demonstrated community service by participating in extracurricular activities:
* In school
* In the community
▪ Must exhibit good citizenship.
▪ Essay must address community service, fellowship, goodwill and good citizenship. It should demonstrate good sentence structure
with correct grammar and spelling. It must be at least 250 words, typewritten, double-spaced on plain white paper.
▪ Application – Use filable version if possible. If using a copy of form, print clearly and legibly.
▪ Include an official copy of your high school transcript or home school record.
▪ Include three letters of recommendation. Please….no form letters! Typewritten preferred.
• A recommendation may be obtained from:
* School official: counselor, principal, teacher, coach. (only one)
* Community leader
* Present or former employer.
• Each person providing a recommendation MUST state their name and relationship to the applicant.
FILING DEADLINE: Completed applications must be returned to the School Counseling Office no later than 3 pm, Friday April 22, 2022. Applications from home-schooled students must be mailed to Abingdon Ruritan Club, P.O. Box 22, Bena, VA 23018 and must be postmarked no later than April 22, 2022.
Abingdon Ruritan Scholarship-Application Form-for-2022-23
2020 – 2021 Recipients
All three Recipients were awarded in July 2020 for the 2020-21 Academic Year
Kathryn Neikirk was awarded a one-year $700 scholarship. She is attending Vassar College to study Psychology.
Farren Winter was awarded our $4,000 4-year academic scholarship. She is attending Shenandoah University and is studying Music Therapy. She will receive $1,000 each year.
Macey A. Berg was awarded the club’s $2,000 2-year Community College/Trade/Vocational School scholarship. She will receive $1,000 each year. She is attending Rappahannock Community to become an Ultrasound Technician.