Seafood Festival Cancellation Notice
We regret to announce that the Abingdon Ruritan Club Fall 2020 Seafood Festival is officially cancelled. This is in keeping with federal and state restrictions due to COVID-19.
For those who purchased tickets for the cancelled Spring 2020 Seafood Festival and requested us to hold those tickets for the Fall Festival, we offer the following suggestions:
(1) If you want a refund and you paid with check or cash, return your tickets with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Abingdon Ruritan Club, P.O. Box 22, Bena, VA 23018 not later than November 2, 2020. Tickets received after this date cannot be refunded.
(2) If you want a refund and you paid with Pay Pal, return your tickets along with your name and address to Abingdon Ruritan Club, P. O. Box 22, Bena, VA 23018 not later than November 2, 2020 and your credit card will be updated in the Pay Pal system. Tickets received after this date cannot be refunded.
(3) Keep a record of the ticket numbers that you return. We are not responsible for tickets lost in the mail.
(4) If you do not want a refund and wish to donate the cost of the tickets to the Abingdon Ruritan Club, you have two options: (1) do nothing, or (2) if you wish to receive an acknowledgement of your charitable deduction, send a written request with your name,
address, and the ticket numbers you are donating to the Abingdon Ruritan Club, P.O. Box 22, Bena VA 23018. A written acknowledgement of your donation will be provided.
(5) Please note these tickets will not be honored at any subsequent Seafood Festival and will be void after 2 November 2020.
Information About our Festivals
(Tickets are not on sale at this time.)
Sponsor Information: Sponsors for the Abingdon Ruritan Seafood Festivals provide a highly visible way of supporting the community. Over 30 businesses have banners displayed throughout the grounds on Festival days. If you would like to join them and be a sponsor, contact our Sponsor Chairman, Pete Shepherd, email email@example.com or phone 804-694-6924.
Our Seafood Festivals are held twice yearly and are located on our Festival Grounds behind our club building at 8784 Guinea Road, Bena, Virginia. We ask that you leave all pop-ups/portable canopies/awnings/tents, etc., at home, because they will not be allowed in.
- 3rd Wednesday of each May
- 3rd Wednesday of each October
- All ticket sales are in advance and include all the seafood you can eat and all beverages, alcoholic and non-alcoholic.
- Tickets are $50.00 each. (Regardless of age.)
- During the period of time when ticket sales are ongoing, tickets may be purchased three ways: by mail, in person at several local businesses, or online within this site (a button link to PayPal will appear when tickets become available). If you purchase online there is an additional $2.00 cost per ticket.
- To purchase tickets by mail, send a request to: Attn: Seafood Festival, Abingdon Ruritan Club, P.O. Box 22, Bena, Va. 23018. Enclose a check made payable to “Abingdon Ruritan Club” in the amount of $50 for each ticket you wish to purchase and also include a self-addressed, stamped, legal size (#10) envelope.
- Tickets are usually available for purchase in person at these businesses: Tillage Automotive, Gloucester
Whitley Peanuts, Gloucester and Williamsburg
Hogge Real Estate, Gloucester Courthouse
P&C Wholesale, Peninsula and Southside Hampton Roads, call (Charlie Dail, 757-342-3838)
Lyn’s Mini Mart in Bena
- To purchase tickets online, a button will appear on this page to enable you to purchase using PayPal. When tickets are not available, the button won’t be either! Tickets will be sent to online purchasers by U.S. Mail.
Important Facts About Our Seafood Festivals
- The address of the main entrance to our club building is 8784 Guinea Road, but on the day of the festival you cannot enter there to access the festival grounds! You will need to drive a few short yards ahead to the intersection of Guinea Road and Mark Pine Road (the next right turn). Immediately on your right as you are turning onto Mark Pine Road, you will see the paved apron in front of Abingdon Fire and Rescue Station No. 2, and a few inches beyond their paved apron is a gravel road which is our entrance you need to take to proceed to the parking area adjacent to our festival grounds.
- Parking is free.
- The Festival Gate opens at 2:00 pm, but NO food or beverages will be served until 3:00 pm, after the playing of our national anthem, the Star Spangled Banner. (Ruritans love citizenship and patriotism!)
- The Festival goes on, rain or shine. Ticket sales are final.
- You are welcome to enjoy all the food and beverages that you would like, including: Oysters– fried and on half-shell; clam fritters and clam chowder; fried scallops; fried fish; steamed shrimp; steamed crabs; hush-puppies; BBQ with coleslaw; French fries; cake; ice cream; cheese and wine; soft drinks, water, coffee, beer, wine, and mixed drinks (no shots).
- We welcome you to enjoy the live music of a popular local band and also for you to take advantage of our grassy dance area in front of the bandstand.
- Covered seating areas are available, and you may bring in lawn chairs and small folding tables (but no pop-up tents/canopies).
- Please be considerate of others by sharing our festival area picnic tables. No tables are to be “reserved” by placing tablecloths or other markers on them.
What we do not permit at our Seafood Festivals:
- Coolers (They will not be allowed through the gate.)
- Pets (They will not be allowed through the gate.)
- Firearms (concealed or open carry)
- Political Campaigning (Never–not even in an election year!)
- Anyone without a ticket. (Remember, none are sold at the gate.)
- Any food or beverage to be taken outside the festival grounds.
- Pop-Up Tents/Canopies
- Attempts to “reserve” tables by placing tablecloths on them.